a query about sentences

Ardis Eschenberg ardise at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 12 18:05:37 UTC 2003

Hi!  I guess that all this discussion is basically centered around English
teaching, but I thought I'd add from a different perspective anyway.
I work with a team to teach a Native American language at the highschool
level to non-native speaker Native children.  The basic unit for us is the
verb.  The verb has the bulk of morphological operations (except
compounding) and exhibits the basic phonological processes (example:
devoicing with affixation) that also affect noun phrases.  In a way, this is
sentence level as well as a single verb can be a sentence.  Though I've not
attempted to teach too much intonation, post-verbal operators (clitics)
provide illocutionary force in this language anyway.  Also, sentences are
used to chunk information into digestible blocks for students to process.
When we transcribe, we use inflected verbs to provide stop points
(effectively these provide when we stop a sentence and break it down and
translate) to create a chunk to look into.  It helps prevent hassling over
what is a sentence.
So, perhaps, for different languages a different focus may be necessary.  Or
perhaps this is simply a difference in goals of programs.
-Ardis Eschenberg