The Reality of Sentences

Rob Freeman rjfreeman at EMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 13 02:49:08 UTC 2003

On Sunday 13 April 2003 7:56 am, you wrote:
> In a message dated 4/11/03 7:56:25 PM, kemmer at RICE.EDU writes:
> <<  Written English is nobody's native language and students just have to
> learn it. >>
>
> After reading TG's awesome post on phonemes, one might ask how the same
> perspectives might apply to this subject.

I'm sure the issues are the same. Though I'm not sure the list wants us to go
there.

But you seem to have drawn a different conclusion from it than I did.

Is there anyone else who didn't agree with my characterization of TG's
"pragmatic middle" argument as a confusion between Chomskian competence and
performance?

Best,

Rob Freeman