The Reality of Sentences3

Rob Freeman rjfreeman at EMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 16 03:01:27 UTC 2003

Steve,

I think you are taking your adherence to functional orthodoxy a little far
here. Function may be a key determinant of language, but it is not the only
thing in the world.

I almost feel like joining Tom Givon and running from the 100%'ers.

In a final attempt to explain my position let me push the movie analogy and
say that while I don't believe movies should be best described as some kind
of "pragmatic middle" between puppet and picture, I also don't think they can
be completely explained by our functional need to be entertained.

However much an alien might never fully understand movies without
understanding the human need to be entertained.

No more will language be completely explained by the human need to eat.

To tie up, in this analogy your assertion that "language follows rules",
"there's no question that language is rule governed" would be equivalent to
saying "movies have movement, there is no question they contain movement". My
original assertion that "there is no grammar" might be something like "the
pictures in movies don't move". I leave it to you to ascertain which is true,
and I'll leave it to Tom to tell us what a mechanism for a movie which
consisted of a "pragmatic middle" between moving puppets and static pictures
might be.

I'll stick with my assertion that a model of movies needs to be fundamentally
based on photography, and that objects in the pictures don't move, but that
the illusion of movement is continually being created by successions of new
combinations of photographs. Similarly grammar rules don't exist, but the
illusion of grammar rules is continually being created by successions of new
combinations of examples of language use.

Maybe I'll be branded as too narrowly, 100% a "cameraman", but I don't see
us "making movies" any other way.

Best,

Rob