German ethnonyms

Danielle E. Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Thu Dec 11 14:46:47 UTC 2003

Hi John,

Yes there is also Swedish Tyska
But  we have to consider Tyska, Deutsche and Tedesco as one only since they are
only phonetic adaptations of the same etymon I suppose.

As for why there are many others, to my knowledge each different one comes from
the name of the tribe after which the name was taken. In the Antiquity and Early
Middle Age, there were still al lot of German tribes living separate political
existence. This is only my intuition.

Cheers,

Danielle Cyr