zero-marked verbs

jaw300t jaw300t at SMSU.EDU
Tue Jan 21 18:41:29 UTC 2003

>===== Original Message From Mikael Parkvall <parkvall at LING.SU.SE> =====
>Regarding Janet Wilsons posting on Kuche:
>
>What about mood? Are any modal categories by any chance (semi-)obligatory?

Mood is not often marked, but it seems to participate in the same kind of
TAM-spreading as the other overtly marked verb categories.  For instance,
conditional clauses are marked by a serial verb construction, but if there are
several conditions, only the first one is marked.  I have only identified 3
overt markers that are specifically mood:  imperative (bare verb), conditional
(the serial verb construction I mentioned), and a prefix bi- that seems to
mean "should".