whenever

Debra.Ziegeler MFATSDPZ at FS1.ART.MAN.AC.UK
Mon Jan 27 19:47:33 UTC 2003

Interesting that this feature can be now observed in US English -
Trudgill and Hannah (1985-2002 - International English) note that it
is a feature of Northern Irish English, and give the example:
'Whenever my baby was born, I became depressed' (1985: 89).

On a slightly different note, I have observed the use of 'when' in
some examples of Hong Kong English and Singaporean English
used with the function of a generic 'if' (e.g. 'When there is a fire, do
not use the lift'). This seems to be the reverse of what Matt and
Steve are describing.

Debra Ziegeler

Dr. Debra Ziegeler
School of English and Linguistics