Ranking of Languages by learning difficulty?

Sheri Wells Jensen swellsj at bgnet.bgsu.edu
Thu Nov 6 18:57:16 UTC 2003

Hello, Funknetters,

I'm hoping one of you can help me:

I remember once seeing a list of frequently-taught languages ordered by the
amount of time it took an English speaking student to learn them (or at
least reach a certain specified level).  The list  went from Kiswahili and
Spanish on the 'easy' end to Arabic and Japanese on the 'hard' end.  I also
recall hearing mention of class one/two/three/four languages which may or
may not refer to the same ordering.  Can anyone help me track this down?

Thanks  in Advance,
Sheri Wells-Jensen

Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen
Bowling Green State University