Call for abstracts: EMCL: A Workshop on Image-Schemas and Linguistic Relativity

Rob Freeman rjfreeman at email.com
Mon Apr 12 06:49:07 UTC 2004

Hi Monica,

I won't be submitting any abstracts, but reading your CFP it just occurred to
me to ask _why_ Image-Schemas would need to be "the same for everybody", just
because they arise from "universal aspects of how the human body interacts
with its environment".

The wide variety of different cultures we see in the world, for example, also
arise from similar "universal aspects of how the human body interacts with
its environment", but we accept that different cultures address those
universal problems in different ways. Why couldn't image schemas show as much
variation as cultures, and indeed languages?

-Rob