extension of "the"

Alexander Gross language at sprynet.com
Mon Aug 30 20:35:59 UTC 2004

Thanks, Wendy.  It will be two weeks before i am back in NYC & can look up
Peter Master's contributions on this subject.  But so far as i can see from
summaries on the web, i don't think he and i would have too many differences
here. That's because he is concerned with practical solutions for helping
ESL students to learn and not merely airy universalist linguistic
cause-mongering or promotions for MT, just as i am concerned with training
translators & breaking through to describing how language actually works.

So far as i can tell, he maintains that grammar can be usefully taught in
ESL courses and breaks down his method for treating articles into beginning,
intermediate, and advanced phases (none of which is going to help MT
programmers very much). OTOH i believe there is a dispute within the ESL
community between those who emphasize teaching grammar & those who just want
to start their students talking some form of English.

It's probable that most of us who learn foreign languages as adults will
never speak them perfectly, whichever course is chosen.  My Spanish was good
enough 50 years ago to get me a job as a bilingual radio announcer in Madrid
for Radio Nacional de Espan~a.  And I've boasted that I speak it fluently
ever since, which in some ways I do.  And I'm also fairly justified in my
claim that I can speak, read, translate from, interpret brief dialogs into,
and even write (with some help from a native editor) five or six languages
(six including both British and American English :-) ).  But I'm just now
going through the hard slogging of preparing for a conference in Xalapa,
Mex., and I'm becoming painfully aware of how "broken" my Spanish really is.

But at least I'm aware of it, which means that I can improve it a bit.
Contrary to Steve's fantasies that all language can be broken down to Roger
Schank-like scenarios involving dialogues with car valets, both grammar and
accent really do matter in most languages.

very best to all!

alex