"the" (3)

Stahlke, Herbert F.W. hstahlke at bsu.edu
Tue Aug 31 02:05:21 UTC 2004

I agree overall with your analysis.  However, I've checked Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, which also includes Septuagint and Hellenistic sources.  ho christos shows up all over the S in its "anoint as consecration meaning".  Ps.114:15, Ps.2:2, Hab.3:13, all over Samuel/Kings/Chronicles, and even in reference to a foreign king, Cyrus, in Is.45:1.    The word did not have this meaning in pre-Christian non-Jewish writing, but pre-Christian Hellenistic Judaism did extend the secular meaning to its sacred needs, antedating and perhaps establishing NT usage a couple of centuries earlier.

Herb

Subject:	Re: [FUNKNET] "the" (3)