primitive image-schemas

Rob Freeman rjfreeman at email.com
Thu Jun 10 10:22:08 UTC 2004

Steve: I think what you are saying I covered when I said all languages are
constrained to refer to the "same thing".

Tom: I think you are saying language is not (totally) subjective and therefore
we can expect cognitive universals.

If cognitive universals can be posited on the basis of linguistic universals I
guess that would be good evidence. The search for linguistic universals has a
long history. Good luck.

Personally I believe there are linguistic universals, a kind of Universal
Grammar even, but I don't think it goes much beyond an identification of
contrast with category.

-Rob