primitive image-schemas 3

Rob Freeman rjfreeman at email.com
Sat Jun 12 11:47:33 UTC 2004

Steve,

If there were only one way of generalizing experiences what you say might be
true.

This suggests a question which has interested me recently. It puts the focus
of discussion back on language, but I think the point is quite general.

What were Chomsky's reasons for dismissing the discovery methods of the
"post-Bloomsfieldian" structuralists (Pike, Harris, Trager-Smith?) I mean
apart from lack of generativity. I understand Harris had 'a "synthesis"
procedure, which could be understood as generative grammar', but still
Chomsky felt it could not work.

Does anyone know the exact reason Chomsky felt it could not work?

My understanding is that this was because these discovery procedures resulted
in "incoherent or inconsistent" representations. I would like to know if this
was the reason, or the only reason.

-Rob Freeman