Relativity versus Reality

Alexander Gross language at sprynet.com
Wed Jun 16 18:26:41 UTC 2004

Steve, your assertions about both Homeric colors and Botticelli are
disputable, and I  certainly would have disputed them in detail back when I
started off majoring in Greek 50 years ago and during the four years I spent
in Florence during the 50s & 60s.  But I'll hold off for now, since there
are larger issues afoot.

I really think you're trying to pull far too much material together with far
too thin a thread.  And I'm a bit surprised at you, since i see you are a
fan, as am i, of the late Larry Trask, who not only trashed geneticists
writing about language but Chomsky writing about linguistics.

Can't you see that this whole "image schemas" folderol is simply the latest
installment in that infamous farrago including such other barbarisms as
poverty of stimulus, deep structure, and innate carburetors?  Just a few
years ago medical practitioners were forced to admit that there has never
been persuasive evidence for vast numbers of supposedly standard clinical
procedures and finally invented the field of "evidence based medicine."
Isn't it overdue for linguists to follow their lead with their own school of
"evidence based linguistics?"  Whenever they get around to doing so, they
will quickly discover there's no shortage of material to throw out.

Face it, over recent decades the practitioners of linguistics have resembled
not so much cautious scientists as so many fundamentalist zealots: mulling
mullahs, contentious cabalistic rabbis, bristling Mormon elders, desperately
calling forth miracles on the basis of their own home-grown magical
formulas, hoping that some budding hagiographer would immortalize them for
their soul-searching devotion, if not a Joseph Smith then at least a Randy
Allen Harris.

Let's take a closer look at these so-called "image schemas."  Precisely why
have they been called into being, how many of them supposedly exist, how do
we know that they are the only ones, how can we be certain of their
existence during the "pre-linguistic" period, and what on earth is the
nature of the problem their alleged existence is alleged to solve?  If we do
take a closer look, I think we'll discover image schematics is one of the
sloppier ideas to emerge from recent linguistics--amd that's already saying
a lot.

Yes, I'm aware of Lakoff, Calvin, Bickerton, et al., but isn't the whole
thrust of this idea simply another attempt to reject the sheer multiplicity
of language by once again favoring a simple-minded theory to explain that
multiplicity?  And precisely what would be gained if it were proved tomorrow
that "image schemas" do indeed play a major role in the creation of all
languages?  What would be either the theoretical or practical spin-offs of
such a conclusion (not that this is anywhere near actually being reached)?

I'm also wondering why this pre-conference workshop is being presented as
some sort of momentous conflict between truly clashing and equally powerful
paradigms, something like:

In the blue corner wearing blue trunks the reigning, somewhat weary, but
still (despite decades of baseless rumors) Undefeated Champion, let's hear
it for LINGUISTIC RELATIVITY!!!

And in the red corner wearing red trunks his far younger and sleeker
Challenger, the dashing MIT Consortium Champion and winner by knockout of
countless peer review encounters, will everybody please welcome IMAGE
SCHEMAS!!!

Sorry, I just don't buy it.  In my opinion even the weakest possible
formulation of Linguistic Relativity can beat even the strongest possible
formulation of Image Schemas by a first-round knockout.

Besides which, if these "primitives" were as powerful as claimed, one would
still expect to find them playing a far more prominent and unifying role in
the international design of trafffic signs and all kinds of notices than is
actually the case. Why does the literature make no reference to speeding-up
schemas, slowing down schemas, collision course schemas, pain avoidance
schemas, all of which were appropriate long before modern motor cars (or
even human beings) came along?

Come to think of it, since these schemas are supposedly to be found in
living organisms, why is so little attention paid to physical, biological,
and medical processes: why do we find no catching one's breath or finding
one's balance schema, much less thirst, hunger, fatigue, pain, or need for
excretion schemas?  And I'd be surprised if there weren't also a schema
dealing with sex and mating.

Wouldn't such physical, biological primitives be crucially necessary to
create the first linguistic utterances, which in their modest way were also
related to the way so many use autos today to drive down to the mall, since
they are likely to have included expressions of swift motion, colliding,
catching, eating, wearing, voicing satisfaction, mating, exulting, etc.?

Why do we find only conceptual formulations among these image schemas?  Does
anyone here suppose that the earliest language users spoke in balanced
Boolean propositions  according to the dictates of a rather precious theory
formulated thousands or millions of years later?

Precisely who chooses which pre-linguistic behavior patterns constitute
image schemas?  And why should we believe them?

Sure, the containment schema is universal as hell, as Ron Chen has pointed
out in a private message.  But not just among humans.  Even lady kangaroos
and squirrels of all sexes have it to account for the babies in their
pouches and the acorns stored in their cheeks.  And even a woodchuck has a
path and end-of-path schema amid its underground tunnels and probably a
cycle schema as well.  And hey, who are we to deny countless quintillions of
paramecia a containment schema for their contractile and food vacuoles?
Though last time I looked, kangaroos, squirrels, woodchucks, and paramecia
weren't busy creating what we call language (though even our own creation of
language may turn out to have been less spectacular than some imagine).

So what we're seeing in my opinion is merely yet another replay, using
slightly different terms, of the ancient Chomskyans-Bash-the-Whorfians
campaign.  Come to think of it, even calling this movement "linguistic
relativity" is most recently a form of propagandistic bashing indulged in by
Pinker.  The correct and more respectful name for this school that refuses
to die is of course the Whorf or Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, with roots in
Herder & Humboldt.

In conclusion, can't the field of linguistics find some new subjects to
study and some new perspectives to study them from?

Over time, on appropriate occasions, and with all due respect for my
colleagues, I'll be happy to suggest a few of these.

With very best wishes to all!

alex

PS--Oh well, just a wee bit about your misinterpetation of Botticellian
"universal" techniques;

> A better place to look for the pre-linguistic "schema" that would form the
> underbed of language would be, not in traffic signs, but in Botticelli.
> Calculated shadows that fool us into thinking that a mere circle is
actually a
> three-dimensional orb -- even when we know better.  When we create the
illusion of
> depth in a painting, we are using "primitive schema" -- i.e., universal
cues
> that we all use to ascertain spatial relationships, time and motion.

You're obviously not too well grounded in art history, or you would be
acquainted with the well-known case of the Dowager Empress of China
rejecting western-style portraits of her because the artists used similar
techniques, which she interpreted simply as blotches on her face making her
look ugly--and almost all Chinese of that time would have agreed with her.
Not very universal, is it?  You really ought to look up that 1969 Penguin
modern psschology Readings book I mentioned.