universals, innateness & Chomsky

Alexander Gross language at sprynet.com
Wed Jun 23 03:20:00 UTC 2004

I'm delighted that Tom Givon felt sufficiently provoked to dash off his
small critique.  And I'd be even more delighted to reply in detail, but I am
on the very eve of departure for a conference in Philadelphia, followed by a
brief holiday with my wife, and will have no opportunity to respond for at
least a week.

On the whole it all sounds fairly familiar, the supposition by a Credo
supporter that any critic must simply be supporting another Credo, along
with the repetition of the expected canticles from the catechism:
Universals, innateness and evolution, Darwin and Wallace,
Performance vs. Competence.  All the comforting catchwords from the past as
a mantram against noticing that almost fifty years of linguistic work have
gone astray.

I notice also no mention at all of image schemas.  Could it just be that the
argument against their existence is so overwhelming that Tom has been forced
to the wall and felt the need to defend all so-called universals
generically?  But if universals are truly central to language, why would
there be any perceived need to defend them?

Hey, guys, I agree, let's do science: in the plural, lots of sciences and
not just the appointed, annointed ones, with a real breakout into medicine,
cartography, fractal geometry, true neurocognitive connections along with
others, and not just the plastic ones that claim Botticelli's use of
perspective as a false universal.

Let's get outside the box and stop murmuring all the inside-the-box phrases
whenever the existence of a life beyond its bounds is suggested.

I'm really afraid I've heard most of this before.  Since I won't be here for
a while, those of you who might care to see how I have responded to similar
critiques in the past might want to look at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=8ebm3f%24c6q%241%40slb1.atl.mindspring.net&rnum=1

or:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex/bigbird.htm#totop

or perhaps even my view of what it really takes to "do linguistics" at:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex/minimum.htm#totop

all the best to everyone!

alex