Botticelli/Getting to the Hotel Room

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Wed Jun 23 13:56:47 UTC 2004

In a message dated 6/22/04 11:20:45 PM, language at sprynet.com writes:
<< and not just the plastic ones that claim Botticelli's use of perspective
as a false universal. >>

I also have not had a moment to reply to Alex's original post, but this extra
little jab motivated me.

"Perspective" is just a reference to an artist's reproduction of the cues of
depth in a 3-dimensional world.  Unless Alex is a flat-worlder, he lives like
all (or most) of us in a real 3-dimensional world.  What is universal is not
Botticelli (although some lovers of the period might disagree with me).  What
is universal -- beyond just human perception -- is that 3-dimensional world.

Is there a natural human language that does not recognize 3-dimensions
lexically?  You'd have to show me before I'd believe it.

Wishing Alex a good trip to Philly, and hoping he will there make full use of
those universal spatial perceptions, without which he will not be able to go
"up" to his room or experience the marvels of Philadelphia's "downtown"...
Steve Long

PS -