universals, innateness & Chomsky

Rob Freeman rjfreeman at email.com
Wed Jun 23 14:50:26 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 05:23, Tom Givon wrote:
> ...Hey guys, let's do science. Let's unearth
> interesting facts and look for systematic tho tentative but (hopefully)
> progressively better explanations.

Tom,

Unearthing the interesting facts and looking for progressively better
explanations sounds good.

Do we agree there is at least a possibility multiple (partially
contradictory?) regularities are to be found in any body of language usage,
and that no one set of rules, even with variations, can capture them all?

It shouldn't be too hard to prove one way or the other, once we admit the
possibility.

Best,

Rob