language learning

Daniel L.Everett dan.everett at man.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 18:06:36 UTC 2004

I also have a recent paper to appear on poverty of stimulus. The paper
is currently on my website. It is a review article on Givon's
Biolinguistics and Lightfoot and Anderson's The Language Organ,
contrasting those two approaches.

Among other things I point out, the generative literature on
acquisition largely assumes that language is learned from the written
form, i.e. devoid of intonation, among other things. Intonation alone
is enough to handle the famous Chomsky example that Brian mentions
below.

I also have another article on my website "Cultural Constraints on
Grammar in Piraha", currently under review, in which I argue that the
Piraha language not only forces a reconsideration of Hockett's 'design
features' of language, but that it strongly indicates that Piraha
speakers must learn cultural values before or along with grammar. This
is the reverse of the Whorf hypothesis (rather than language -->
thought --> culture, I argue that the Piraha case argues for both
culture --> language and language <--> culture).

There can be no content attributed to notions like 'poverty of
stimulus' or 'language organs' without consideration of intonation's
role (in conjunction with information structure) in the data, which
almost no one has done, but certainly not in the Chomskyan tradition.

Dan

P.S. I also point out in the review that some of Givon's experiments
fail to do the work he wants them to do because the math used to
support the conclusions is wrong.

Daniel L. Everett
Professor of Phonetics & Phonology
Postgraduate Programme Director