Image Schemas and Linguistic Relativity

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Sat May 8 00:08:36 UTC 2004

I also was very puzzled by your statement "It follows that image schemas
are the same for everyone, regardless of the language a person speaks." It
doesn't follow at all. It's tricky to separate thought from language, since
thought is so influenced by language, but thought also involves imagery and
emotions, at least. While there may be substantial universals in those
areas, there's no reason to believe that there aren't substantial
differences too. Sorry to butt in, but I kept being disturbed each time I
read the many postings I got of your message.

--Wally Chafe