The Chinese Diplomat's "the" (3)

Alexander Gross language at sprynet.com
Wed Sep 1 23:55:10 UTC 2004

Thanks for your latest message, Steve, and for the Peter Master article,
which i enjoyed.  Though since i am among other things a translator, i can't
help wondering how it would translate into Russian or Chinese.  I think over
time we will reach a meeting of the minds over whatever issues may seem to
divide us.

I also pulled down my heavy Liddell & Scott, and i wonder if the
medical-pharmacological meaning could be the missing link between classical
_chrio_ & christian _christos_.  Speaking as a former state-accredited
practictioner of humoral medicine, the kind Hippocrates & Galen practiced,
the act of rubbing a medicine onto & into someone's flesh is in fact
intended to alter their physical & emotional reality, so it wouldn't be an
enormous stretch to imagine that such an act could identify or legitimize a
religious leader, even a "saviour."

We have all kinds of ads surrounding us with claims that swallowing a pill
can alter our state of being, though some cultures still prefer herbs or
fire or needles or even suppositories to do the trick.  So why wouldn't
rubbing in a bit of aromatic herbal oil also impart wisdom and leadership?

very best to all!

alex