The Chinese Diplomat's "the" (4)

Salinas17 at aol.com Salinas17 at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 18:55:33 UTC 2004

In a message dated 9/1/04 7:55:32 PM, language at sprynet.com writes:
<< I also pulled down my heavy Liddell & Scott, and i wonder if the
medical-pharmacological meaning could be the missing link between classical _chrio_ &
christian _christos_. >>

One of the curious and I think not adequately explained things in the
Mycenaean Linear B tablets is the great emphasis placed on "perfumed oil."   “The
amount of space at Pylos devoted to the manufacture and storage of perfumed oil,
and the role of palace administrators in collecting and allocating raw
material to perfumers, indicate the importance of the industry” (Shelmerdine, 1985).
The usual interpretation is that this was a vanity item, but then why should
it get more emphasis and distribution than regular or fancy textiles or
clothes, for example?

Perhaps this supports your idea that we don't have a real picture of how the
chrio word worked in ancient times -- what it actually meant.  Maybe some
things are just not translateable across time, even in languages we still know
well.  And maybe that suggests how vital experience -- real world context -- is
to how language actually works.

Regards,
Steve Long