"I'm gonna buy me a dog"

Mira Ariel mariel at post.tau.ac.il
Sat Sep 25 09:24:49 UTC 2004

Dear Jo,

I agree with Larry Gorbet.

1. I'm gonna buy me a dog: Me is an argument, and alternates with a
reflexive. I argue that the grammaticization of the reflexive in English has
not been completed, so self-directed actions such as these did not
necessarily conventionalize as reflexives.
 (Cf. ?? I sold me a dog yesterday -- Imagine you work at a pet shop and you
sold yourself a dog there. You would then say I sold myself a dog).

2. I'm gonna run me... Here 'me' is not an argument. Keenan called such
pronouns pleonastic. In fact, my ?? example -- I'm gonna sell me a dog --
can be ok under this reading. Here me probably means something like the
action will favorably affect me.

In some languages (e.g., Hebrew) there's no necessary corefernce in this
type of example. I can say: She's gonna run me... And the effect can be
positive or negative.

Best,

Mira Ariel