"I'm gonna buy me a dog"

Mira Ariel mariel at post.tau.ac.il
Sat Sep 25 14:48:37 UTC 2004

Dear Scott,

Of course the sentence 'I sold me a dog' is acceptable in the context and
reading you gave it, which is what I too said in my message! But I think
that in this case I'm only the seller, not the buyer (as well)! But in 'I
sold myself a dog' I am the buyer as well as the seller. So, you can
substitute 'me' with 'myself' in the 'buy' case but not in the 'sell' case.

Also:

I sold a dog to myself
??I sold a dog to me.

But I'd better stop. I'm not a native speaker. The corpora I looked at had
no sell + pronoun ananphoric to the subject (as in 'I sold me'). But I did
find 'buy' with such ananphoric pronoun rather than reflexive (as in 'I
bought me').

Best,

Mira Ariel