Berkeley Linguistics Society - call for papers

Berkeley Linguistics Society bls at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Sep 27 18:38:15 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Below is the call for papers for the 31st Annual Meeting of the
Berkeley Linguistics Society, to be held February 18-20, 2005. Please
forward this message to the students and faculty in your departments.

Thank you for your help. We look forward to reading the submissions!

Sincerely,

Rebecca Cover
Yuni Kim
Co-chairs, BLS 31

**********************
BLS 31 Call for Papers

The conference will consist of a General Session, a Parasession and a
Special Session.

General Session

The General Session will cover all areas of linguistic interest. We
encourage proposals from diverse theoretical frameworks and also welcome
papers on language-related topics from disciplines such as Anthropology,
Cognitive Science, Literature, Neuroscience and Psychology.

Invited speakers:
Sandra Chung, University of California, Santa Cruz
Nicholas Evans, University of Melbourne
TBA

Parasession: Prosodic Variation and Change

The Parasession aims to explore synchronic variation and historical change
in all areas of prosody, including syllable structure, metrical structure,
stress, accent, tone, and intonation.  We invite submissions addressing
pathways and general principles of prosodic change.  In addition, we
invite papers on prosodic variation, broadly construed: across related
languages and dialects, within an individual's grammar, and within speech
communities. Papers from a wide range of perspectives are encouraged.

Invited speakers:
Jose Hualde, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Paul Kiparsky, Stanford University

Special Session: Languages of West Africa

The Special Session will discuss languages of West Africa (from Cameroon
west).  We welcome submissions on all aspects of West African languages,
including syntax, semantics, phonology, phonetics, morphology, pragmatics,
historical issues, and sociolinguistics. We particularly encourage papers
on minority and understudied languages, language contact, and
cross-linguistic comparison.

Invited speakers:
Denis Creissels, Universite Lumiere Lyon 2
Paul Newman, Indiana University, Bloomington
Russell Schuh, University of California, Los Angeles

Abstracts must be received in our office (not postmarked) by

            *** 5:00 p.m. PST, November 15, 2004 ***

An author may submit at most one single and one joint abstract. In
case of joint authorship, one address should be designated for
communication with BLS. Abstracts should be as specific as possible, with
a statement of topic, approach and conclusions, and may be at most 400
words (not including data and references, which may be placed on the
reverse side).  10 copies of an anonymous, one-page (8.5''x11'') abstract
should be sent, along with a 3''x5'' card listing:
     (1) paper title
     (2) session (General/Para/Special)
     (3) name(s) of author(s)
     (4) affiliation(s) of author(s)
     (5) address where notification of acceptance should be sent
     (6) phone number for each author
     (7) email address for each author
     (8) subfield (syntax, phonology, etc.)

          SEND ABSTRACTS TO
          BLS 31 Abstracts Committee
          1203 Dwinelle Hall
          Berkeley, CA 94720-2650

Abstracts may also be submitted via e-mail. Only those abstracts
formatted as ASCII text, PDF, or Microsoft Word (Mac version
preferred) can be accepted. Electronically submitted abstracts should have
the author's name as filename, followed by the appropriate file extension.
The text of the message must contain the information requested in (1)-(8)
above. We cannot accept faxed abstracts.  Send electronic submissions to
<bls at socrates.berkeley.edu>.

PRESENTATION AND PUBLICATION
Presentations are allotted 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions.
Presented papers are published in the BLS Proceedings. Authors agree to
provide camera-ready copy (up to 12 pages) by May 15, 2005.

REGISTRATION INFORMATION
All attendees, including presenters, must register for the
conference. For advance registration, we can accept only checks or
money orders drawn on US banks in US dollars, made payable to the
Berkeley Linguistics Society.

    Received in our office by February 1, 2005:
         Students     $20
         Non-students $40

    On-site, or received after February 1, 2005:
         Students     $25
         Non-students $55

         SEND ADVANCE REGISTRATION TO
         BLS 31 Registration
         1203 Dwinelle Hall
         Berkeley, CA 94720-2650

BLS will arrange ASL interpretation if requested before Dec. 1, 2004.

We may be contacted:

Email:     bls at socrates.berkeley.edu
Website:   http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/BLS/

Updates will be posted to our website. The conference schedule will be
posted in January.

Berkeley Linguistics Society
University of California, Berkeley
Department of Linguistics
1203 Dwinelle Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-2650
Phone/Fax: 510-642-5808

find information on BLS meetings and availability of proceedings at:
http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/BLS/