postposition on finite verb forms?

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 6 17:17:17 UTC 2005

Thanks, Paul,

Yes, that was the original data. But as typologists we need not only to
catalogue the cross-linguistic distribution of facts, but also to try and
understand how they come about, especially when they appear to go against the
universal grain.  So, even in a language where you have case-marking cropping up
on the most finite verbal construction, we still need to ask ourselves--what is
the mechanism/pathway leading to such a less-than-typical development? And my
prediction would still be that the process starts with least-finite verbal
constructions, then slides slowly up the finiteness gradient by small-step
analogical steps (provided of course there is communicative motivation...) One
could thus look for Greenberg-type of implicational hierarchies,  (i)
synchronic: "if in more finite, then also in less-finite (but not vice versa)";
and (ii) diachronic "earlier in less finite than in more finite".

Best,  TG