grammaticalization of negatives/interrogatives

Matti Miestamo matmies at ling.helsinki.fi
Wed Mar 9 13:33:36 UTC 2005

Dear List Members,

A possible source for polar interrogative markers is the use of negative
markers as tag questions, and I'd be interested to hear about any
attested cases of such developments; Heine & Kuteva briefly mention this
possibility in their World Lexicon of Grammaticalization but do not
discuss any attested cases (they do discuss the role of negation in the
A-not-A interrogative construction, but this is not what I'm after).

I'd also be interested in any other cases of grammaticalization where a
negative marker has developed into a question marker or vice versa.

Thanks and best wishes,
Matti

--

Matti Miestamo