postposition on finite verb forms?

David Palfreyman David.Palfreyman at zu.ac.ae
Thu Mar 31 16:03:32 UTC 2005

"She kind of apologized" - is that comparable?

And in Turkish "gibi" (like) can be used with a tense marked verb, e.g.
"gideceksin gibi gorunuyor" (you-will-go like it-seems = it looks as if
you're going to go).  Offhand I can't think of any other post positions
that could be used like that in Turkish.

David

:-D
>>> "Amiridze, Nino" <Nino.Amiridze at let.uu.nl> 03/31/05 2:47 PM >>>
Dear colleagues,

I have a question about postpositions.

In Georgian postpositions are exclusively attached to either bare or
case-marked (pro)nominal or de-verbal nominal roots. In modern spoken
Georgian one of the postpositions started appearing encliticized to a
fully
inflected verb forms so that the semantics of the postposition is in a
sense
preserved (1 vs. 2). Moreover, not only the postposition but the case
marker
``governed" by the postposition is also cliticized. And what is
important,
there is no change from verb into a nominal, the resulting form is still
verb form.

(1) man mo-i-bodish-a-sa-vit
   (s)he.ERG PREVERB-i-apologize-S3.SG.AORIST-DAT-like
  ``(S)he uttered something like an apology"

(2) man mo-i-bodish-a
   (s)he.ERG PREVERB-i-apologize-S3.SG.AORIST
  ``(S)he apologized"

Do you have similar examples from other languages when a nominal affix
attaches to a finite verb?

I would appreciate it if you could let me know references and/or data
related to the topic.

Sincerely,

Nino Amiridze