"wear" and "put on"

Östen Dahl oesten at ling.su.se
Wed May 11 11:22:10 UTC 2005

Telicity is not quite the whole story. Notice that in the example "learn"
vs. "study", it is the presence or absence of an endpoint that makes the
difference (in somewhat simplified terms...) But "put on" and "wear" differ
in that "putting on" denotes an action which is rather the starting-point of
"wearing". It is true that "put on" is telic, but you cannot simply state
that it is the telic counterpart of "wear". Perhaps "put on" could be said
to be inchoative or ingressive, but if you look closely at it "put on" is
not quite synonymous to "start wearing" either.

- Östen Dahl