"wear" and "put on"

Östen Dahl oesten at ling.su.se
Wed May 11 14:15:33 UTC 2005

What Steve says is correct, but there are cases where there is a difference.
"The teddy bear wore pink pyjamas" does not imply "The teddy bear put on
pink pyjamas". That is, the relation between "put on" and "wear" is
different from that between "fall asleep" and "sleep", in that there is an
intentional (agentive) component in "put on".
- Östen Dahl