"wear" and "put on"

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Wed May 11 17:50:29 UTC 2005

Salinas17 at aol.com said:

> In English, the two words can be used alternatively to convey the same
> intended result -- "put on that red dress, mama, 'cause we're going out
> tonight", "wear that tonight"

Yep. In English, future statives can be used to entail a change of state:

"I'm going to be nice at the LSA meeting this year."

(To get that entailment, the requisite state must not already hold, of
course: "Wear that tonight" might mean "keep that on tonight", and thus
entail a non-change of state if the addressee is already wearing it.)

Either way, WEAR is still a stative and PUT ON is related to it lexically
through a change-of-state entailment. The change of state sometimes
entailed by a future stative is just a situated inference.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix
San Antonio, TX