Aristotle

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Tue May 31 21:49:09 UTC 2005

With all due respect, taking evolution, especially of social species, to
be a matter of purely accidents (random mutations) is not the most
sophisticated approach to evolution, nor the one favored by (at least
most) evolutionary psychologists. The late great Ernst Mayr said is best:
"(adaptive) behavior is the pace-maker of evolution". And adaptive
behavior, a constant factor in selection, is not random, but rather
purposive, thus in a clear way 'intentional' (if mostly non-conscious).
There is a wonderful recent book by Boyd & Richerson on cultural
evolution "Not by genes alone" (U. Chicago, 2005). I shows that there is
no principled contrast between biological and cultural evolution. This
'continuum' position is the most standard one in EP today--that culture
is an extension of biological evolution, that it is just as adaptive (tho
obviouly more complex), and that it is much older than humanity. By the
same token, biology didn't cease with human culture. The two consitute a
finely blended continuum, and trying to erect a barrier somewhewre in the
middle is but another Cartesian/Platonic exercise.

By the way, Dan, with all my great admiration to Aristotle as the founder
of adaptive biology, empirical political science, pragmatics, and even
(according to at least one expert) also the founder of
socio-biology/evolutionary psychology, I still find nothing in his
treatment of language that transcends the logic of The Categories and
thand the Posterior Analytic, nor the structuralism of De
Interpretatione. If you want to find arguments for "language as a natural
(physis) phenomenon rather than as an arbitrary (nomos) one", you can
find it in Socrates' position in Plato's Cratylus. It is not clear
whether Plato side with Socrates (physis) or Cratylus (nomos). And
Cratylus position is essentially the same as Aristotle's De
Interpretatione (nomos).

Best,  TG