Times piece on Language Evolution

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Tue Apr 18 16:10:24 UTC 2006

I guess I'll have to agree with Steve on this one. The article (and
presumably the book it summarized) was a rather lame exemplar of how not
to treat evolution--not only of language, but also of anything--in a
responsible, illuminating way. Not to mention the rather controversial
nature of associating that "gene" with language to begin with (there was
a heated discussion on FUNKNET at the time, as I recall). Seems one more
attempt to score a quickie & scoop the competition, which is not much of
a strategy in science (tho it does happen), but is alas all too
prevalent in linguistics. TG