LCM 3

Anders Hougaard hougaard at language.sdu.dk
Wed Dec 13 17:30:37 UTC 2006

Announcement

It gives us great pleasure to announce the third international, inter-disciplinary conference in the series Language, Culture and Mind (LCM).

The conference will be held in modern and comfortable conference facilities at University of Southern Denmark in Odense 14th - 16th July 2008.

The conference aims at establishing an interdisciplinary forum for an integration of cognitive, social and cultural perspectives in theoretical and empirical studies of language and communication

The special theme of the conference is Social Life and Meaning Construction.

Plenary speakers include:

Michael Chandler <http://www.psych.ubc.ca/faculty/profile/index.psy?fullname=Chandler,%20Michael&area=Developmental&designation=core>  (University of British Columbia)

Alessandro Duranti <http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/anthro/faculty/duranti/>  (University of California at Los Angeles)

Derek Edwards <http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ss/depstaff/staff/edwards.html>  (University of Loughborough)

Marianne Gullberg <http://www.mpi.nl/Members/MarianneGullberg>  (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics)

Esa Itkonen <http://notes.utu.fi/ty/webexper.nsf/0/a795abc1fb3b93d8c22566830029cd4b?OpenDocument>  (University of Turku)

Summer School:

Before the conference there will be a three-day summer school (9th - 11th July) on Social Life and Meaning Construction. Faculty and further details will be announced later. See also The International Graduate School in Language and Communication <http://www.sdu.dk/Hum/graduateschool/>

Conference Website:

http://www.lcm.sdu.dk <http://www.lcm.sdu.dk/>

Submissions:

We call for contributions from scholars and scientists in anthropology, biology, linguistics, philosophy, psychology, semiotics, semantics, social interaction, discourse analysis, cognitive and neuroscience, who wish both to impart their insights and findings, and learn from other disciplines. Preference will be given to submissions which emphasize interdisciplinarity, the interaction between social life, culture, mind and language, and/or multi-methodological approaches in language and communication sciences.

Theme Sessions:

We encourage interdisciplinary theme sessions. There will be a major theme session at the conference on Social Life and Meaning Construction. Details we be announced later

Important dates: To be announced

Earlier LCM conferences:

1st LCM conference: Portsmouth 2004

2nd LCM conference: Paris 2006 <http://www.lcm2006.net/>