grammaticalization Don't misrepresent Kuhn

Diane Frances Lesley-Neuman Diane.Lesley-neuman at colorado.edu
Sun Feb 26 20:39:27 UTC 2006

Dr. Givon,
I think that you are misrepresenting Kuhn's ideas here.  If you reread Kuhn,
you might see the gradual nature of the paradigm shift--he even points out how
evidence contradicting the prevailing paradigm is ignored and explained away
for a period of time until more evidence accumulates for the paradigm shift to
take place.  What Kuhn actually says contradicts the myth of the orderly
progress of the paradigm shifts, but also mythically revolutionary nature of
the so-called "revolutions". He does not contradict the accumulation of
information that produces it. He used the principles of historical
investigation to get more accurate time frames of who was doing what, and who
was communicating with whom to present a real picture of how the basic
discoveries in physics and chemistry were made.
  Also, let us keep in mind that the fields of science have become more orderly
and systematic over the years. The first years of science may have been a
little messy. We communicate with one another more, and are constantly
improving our methods.  Nevertheless, many discoveries are still accidental--
found in pursuit of solutions to other problems.
  I use Kuhn to understand what is happening in the debates over phonological
theory.  If we can take OT as an attempt at a paradigm shift, and study the the
history and the evidence, one can navigate the waters of the phonology wars
with a great deal more equilibrium and tranquility. The tableau was drawn on a
napkin in a cafe in Tucson, AZ. Or so they tell me.
--
Diane Lesley-Neuman, M. Ed.
Linguistics Department