New Book: Limits of Language by Mikael Parkvall

J. Clancy Clements jcclemen at unm.edu
Sun Jul 23 21:25:13 UTC 2006

The following review is written by Geoff Pullum. The full
title of the book is:

Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know
About Language and Languages, by Mikael Parkvall (London
and Ahungalla: Battlebridge)

Posted by Geoffrey K. Pullum on Language Log
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/

“The book for your linguist lover
I have come upon a book that would be the ideal birthday
present for the linguist in your life who you feel already
has everything, even a copy of Far From the Madding
Gerund. (By the way, if you don't have a linguist in your
life, you should definitely consider it. When a linguist
kisses you, you stay kissed.) The book in question is
quite obscure at the moment. The publisher is
Battlebridge, located in London and Ahungalla. (Really,
Ahungalla. It's in Sri Lanka.) As yet, it is only
available via Amazon in the UK and Japan, so have some
pounds sterling or yen ready), and your linguist lover
will not know about it yet. It is called Limits of
Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know You Didn't
Know About Language and Languages, and it's by Mikael
Parkvall. The ISBN for the paperback that I have appears
to be 9 781903 292044 but the ISBN cited by Amazon.co.uk
is 1 903292 04 2 (and they're charging just £15, so it
surely can't be a hardback; I don't know why there would
be two ISBNs). I can only describe the book as the
realization of a fantasy idea I once had for a Linguist's
Book of Lists (see chapter 22 of my book The Great Eskimo
Vocabulary Hoax). It also has a touch of Guinness Book of
World Linguistic Records about it. It is really cute, and
absolutely stuffed with linguistic trivia and facts and
dates and lists and ephemera and exotica (and a linguist
joke or two among the fake endorsement quotes on the
back). It's often funny, but also quite serious and
useful. It will delight any member of our profession. Buy
it, and check it out for yourself before you gift-wrap it
for your linguist lover.”

Clancy Clements