Aymara's time metaphor reversed? Yahgan says....

D.L.Everett dan.everett at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 09:02:47 UTC 2006

Very often when we theorize about the significance of this or that
aspect of a given language, from time words to color words to
phonological structure, etc. we ironically fail to address the
problem linguistically, at least in the traditional sense of this
term. Linguists look at components of languages and study their
distribution within a given system, looking for contrast,
complementation, and structure. They come to understand individual
units of a given language by analyzing the components of those units
(what they are or what they are composed of), what those units
contrast with (that is, what they are not), and how those units
interconnect with other units in the language or grammar to form the
system as a whole, i.e. the entire grammar and cultural context of
which they are a part. These latter three perspectives are what Pike
called the 'particle, wave, and field' perspectives of language.

Outside the context of 'thick' ethnographies and grammars, it becomes
difficult to understand different meanings of items, much less to
compare them or contrast them with their supposed counterparts in
other languages. This is a rather well-known problem from, for
example, color terms, where so-called 'color terms' in several
languages are not in fact best understood as color, certainly not in
the English sense.

Years ago (about 1984 or 1985) I was interviewed in the NY Times
about a story it was running on Aymara, where it had been claimed
that Aymara was the first truly logical language and that computer
programmers could actually use Aymara as an ideal programming
language. (Anyone who subscribes to the web version of the NY Times,
Times Select, can find that article in a couple of seconds.)

I don't find claims that Aymara think backwards about time much
different than the claim that their language is 'truly logical'.

Ellen's comments below are right on, because the 'eye of the
beholder' is really the eye of the native speaker whose system we are
trying to understand. And we cannot understand these things without
detailed ethnogrammatical studies that use, among other methods,
standard distributional argumentation of traditional linguistics, the
one thing linguistics is truly good at perhaps, to show the particle,
wave, and field perspectives of the unit in question in the larger
ethnocultural context of the language in question. Jess Tauber's
remarks on Yaghan seem to recognize this as well, when he says "A
question arises for me about whether such oppositions as in 'push
forward' and 'push back' depend on a larger framework against which
they are interpreted", but nothing in what follows that nice opening
remark gives me an understanding of the ethnolinguistic
distributional arguments used to establish this apart from 'force
dynamics'.

Dan