Aymara's time metaphor reversed?

Andrew LaVelle lavelle at unm.edu
Thu Jun 15 11:57:49 UTC 2006

I should add to my previous message (below) that one of the primary
distinctions between 'push forward" and "push back" is that with "push
forward" I'm emphasizing the relation between the projected/scheduled event
and time itself (based on the underlying metaphor that time always unfolds
in forward direction and thus that the future lies ahead; therefore to give
an event greater futurity is to give it greater forwardness, and vice
versa), whereas with "push back" I'm highlighting the relation between the
event and myself: by pushing the event back I'm increasing the temporal
distance between it and me. Both expressions are based on the same
diagrammatic metaphor, but each foregrounds a different relation between
speaker, event, and time.

Best,
Andrew

Department of Linguistics