Aymara's time metaphor reversed? Yahgan says....

Ellen L. Contini-Morava elc9j at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Sat Jun 17 21:35:50 UTC 2006

I seem to recall that Clifford Hill said something like this about Hausa
back in the 1970's.  His work was mainly on spatial orientation:  an
English speaker viewing two objects in a line, one closer and one farther
away, will say the farther one is "behind" the nearer one, as if the
intervening object were "facing" the viewer, whereas Hausa speakers say the
farther one is "in front of" the nearer one, as if the viewer and the
objects were standing in a queue all facing in the same direction.  I think
he also said that Hausa speakers describe the past as "in front" and the
future as "behind", on the grounds that one can see/know the past whereas
one doesn't see/know the future.

Ellen C-M

--On Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:53 AM -0400 jess tauber