criticisms of grammaticalization

Anggarrgoon anggarrgoon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 02:26:35 UTC 2006

I'd like to return to Martin's first point, and Joan's comment:

> 1. Unidirectionality, if it exists, is an even greater problem for
> functionalism than if it turns out to be false. Developments that span
> centuries would have to be explained independently of speakers, who only
> have access to three generations of other speakers. (I attribute this one to
> Janda 2001.)

> Point 1 is only a problem if you assume that language change takes place
> in language acquisition. If you assume that grammaticization is driven
> by processes that occur as language is used, by everyone all the time,
> then unidirectionality is what you would expect.

I don't think it's necessarily problematic for acquisition-based
theories. If I wanted to construct an argument about unidirectionality
within a acquisition-based/Minimalist framework of language change I
would argue that certain operations are privileged (Move over Merge, for
example), so there's a "built-in" bias for kids to prefer one potential
Grammar over another. I think Elly van Gelderen has done some work on
developing this line of argument, and privileging certain operations is
already part of Minimalism, as is a more general idea of economy.

I would further note that there are a number of one-way processes in
language change other than grammaticalization. For example, nasal-stop
assimilation is always anticipatory. For example, the sequence [*anpa]
becomes [ampa] but never [anda] (that is, the nasal assimilates to the
p.o.a. of the stop, not vice versa). *k > ? (glottal stop) is common,
while the reverse isn't. Whether you model such change as the result of
misacquisition of the 'correct' target or as a change in the speech of
adults (or both) is irrelevant to issues of directionality, as far as I
can see. It's shaped by a combination of perceptual and articulatory
factors. Kids acquiring language are still subject to those factors.

Claire