Reflections on Grammaticalization, Epiphenomena, etc....

Alexander Gross2 language at sprynet.com
Wed Mar 15 22:05:59 UTC 2006

Thanks for your reply, Mark.  Have no argument with the points you make,
though I believe you may be using the term teleological in a sense different
from the one I learned.  As so often happens in our field.  Take for
instance, Chomsky 1957:

'Suppose we have a machine that can be in any one of a finite number of
different internal states…Each such machine thus defines a certain language;
namely the set of sentences that can be produced in this way.'

or Chomsky 2000:

'We can think of the initial state of the faculty of language as a fixed
network connected to a switch box; the network is constituted of the
principles of language, while the switches are the options to be determined
by experience. When the switches are set one way, we have Swahili; when they
are set another way, we have Japanese. Each possible human language is
identified as a particular setting of the switches - a setting of
parameters, in technical terminology. If the research program succeeds, we
should be able literally to deduce Swahili from one choice of settings,
Japanese from another, and so on through the languages that humans can
acquire...'

Now if that's not a τέλος, I'd like you to explain to me exactly what a
τέλος is.  I'd be quite surprised if the Department of Defense regarded it
as any other than a τέλος, a teleological statement of intention, ultimately
aimed at creating MT systems and related applications.

Are we truly in a postion to spurn teleological statements when they may be
paying most of the salaries in the field of linguistics?

all the best!

alex