Reflections on Grammaticalization, Epiphenomena, etc....

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Wed Mar 15 22:40:41 UTC 2006

Alexander --

As I understood it, you were not ascribing a purpose to Chomsky, to his
imaginary generative machine, to his imaginary switch box, to the U.S.
Department of Defense or to the community of linguists. You were ascribing
a purpose to "our biological defense system", which I understood to mean a
functional subset of the human physiome. By implying that biological
evolution is goal-directed, such an ascription opens up a Pandora's Box
that bioscience has no need to see opened.

So the short answer is that we are truly in a position to spurn
teleological statements when they pertain to biological evolution.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix
San Antonio, TX