Reflections on Grammaticalization, Epiphenomena, etc....

Diane Frances Lesley-Neuman Diane.Lesley-neuman at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 16 04:48:34 UTC 2006

Alexander,
  Thank you for paying me the compliment by including my quote on your
favorites list.  I never knew that my experience as a political refugee in the
phonology wars could prove so useful.I have been appreciative of the
intellectual company of my fellow functionalists since joining Funknet this
year--both from the quality of the debate, which I learn from, but also from
the camaraderie from the intellectual wise-assing among folks with shared
interests and perspectives.
  I actually began my training in a very strictly generative department, and
take great pains not to copy that their rather extreme and repressive
parochialism.  I therefore never rule out where aspects of their model might
come into use. Psycholinguistic tests of garden path sentences show a certain
validity, and notions of constituency might be useful for examining stuttering
behaviors.  It might turn out that both functionalist and formalist models are
describing real aspects of our speech/language cognitive system, which has a
lot of built-in redundancies.
  An equivalent example is in theories of speech perception between Quantal
Theory, based on the Distinctive Features (Ken Stevens, and the MIT crowd), and
Motor Theory, based on gestures (Haskins & Co.).  Investigations in
neuroscience show that both models are essentially correct--they reflect two
simultanous but separate streams of the same signal along parallel neural
pathways, and provide redundant cues for the perception of speech.
  The functionalist/formalist debate may turn out the same, so when I see
tribal warfare brewing, I question both sides. This has not earned me many
points in popularity contests, and has denied me funding on more than one
occasion. However, it is something that linguists need to be doing, and I do
indeed wish to practice science as a linguist.
--
Diane Lesley-Neuman, M. Ed.
Linguistics Department