Scientific methods

Diane Frances Lesley-Neuman Diane.Lesley-neuman at colorado.edu
Fri Mar 24 15:53:11 UTC 2006

The method of converging operations is part of the scientific method.  It works
from a series of operations. You are testing a series of falsifiable
hypotheses,using in the scientific method that you advocate, and advance
through the results. These are methods that are used when trying to open the
black box of perception.
  Direct Realism is not necessarily a postulation that I advocate.  There is,
however,a basis for the claims for the distal and proximal stimulus which is
part of the theory. Regarding the other claims that you were making, there is
indeed evidence that experience influences mental images--pretty basic stuff.
  Findings from mirror neuron research are pretty exciting in that they show
that when actions and vocalizations are observed by a subject, the areas of the
brain which execute the motor actions to imitate them are activated in the
brain of the observer, and that there are neurons dedicated to making that
happen.  This is important to how we learn language--and provide some evidence
to support the concept of gestures in Motor Theory. We learn the gestures--
combined motor actions--or even the neural motor commands--needed to articulate
sounds.

--
Diane Lesley-Neuman, M. Ed.
Linguistics Department