Further biological/linguistic parallels?

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Mar 28 21:00:19 UTC 2006

Jess,

Was it you who mentioned that some related species of bees are social and
have specialized functions, while others live alone and carry on all
functions?

If so, what effect on communicative behavior does socialization or lack
thereof have? Do loner bees still dance the dance that helps locate
sources of nectar? Is the dance intentional and manipulative or is it
merely expressive and involuntary?

One of the often unspoken assumptions of grammaticalization theory is that
human language developed from intentional signals meant to manipulate the
behavior of others, as opposed to involuntary vocalizations and gestures
that served an expressive function for the individual  which just happened
to be useful to others in acquiring information from the speaker.

    --Aya

Dr. Aya Katz, Inverted-A, Inc, P.O. Box 267, Licking, MO
65542 USA
http://www.well.com/user/amnfn