Semiotic Society of America: 2006 Annual Meeting -- Second Call for Papers (Extended deadline: May 30th)

Andrew LaVelle lavelle at unm.edu
Tue May 9 13:55:00 UTC 2006

Semiotic Society of America: 2006 Annual Meeting
Second Call for Papers (Extended deadline: May 30th)

The 2006 Annual Meeting of the Semiotic Society of America will be held at
Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, from noon on Thursday,
September 28, through noon on Sunday, October 1, 2006. The meetings will be
held in the Stewart Center and the adjoining Purdue Memorial Union which
also includes the Union Club Hotel where a block of rooms has been reserved
The Union Club Hotel is located at the corner of State and Grant Streets in
the Memorial Union complex. For reservations call 1.800.320.6291 or contact
www.hotel.purdue.edu and ask for conference rates.

The theme for the 2006 conference is ³The Future of Semiotics.² We encourage
papers that address semiotics as a diverse but unified field of study and
that consider its future prospects within the academy. Following tradition,
our theme is non-exclusive and, indeed, we welcome submissions addressing
any topic within our diverse discipline, whether theoretical or applied.
Please submit abstracts of 100 to 350 words carefully composed to give a
clear sense of your proposal. Please also include a short list of keywords
for our program index and be sure to state specifically any AV requirements
Participants will have thirty minutes for their presentations, including
time for questions and discussion. Abstracts should be sent to the Chair of
the Program Committee, Nathan Houser, at nhouser at iupui.edu. Send your
abstracts both in the body of your email and in an attachment (do not use
special fonts or graphics). The deadline for submission has been extended to
30 May 2006. The program committee welcomes proposals for symposia.

Participants must be paid up members of the Society and must register for
the 2006 Annual Meeting. Annual SSA dues are $50 for regular membership or
$25 for student membership and may be paid online at
www.pdcnet.org/member-ssa.html. (International participants and participants
in special symposia may request a waiver of membership dues.) The meeting
registration fee is $75 or $35 for students. Optional fees are $15 for a
Plenary Luncheon on Saturday, 30 September, and $30 for the Banquet that
evening. Meeting registration and banquet fees can be sent in advance to SSA
2006, Professor Nathan Houser, Institute for American Thought, IUPUI, 902
New York Street, ES 0010, Indianapolis, IN 46202-5157. Annual dues can be
included but with a separate check made out to SSA.

For more information about the program and about registering and traveling
to West Lafayette visit the SSA website:
http://www.uwf.edu/tprewitt/SSA.htm.

2006 Program Committee
Nathan Houser, Chair, Myrdene Anderson (Chair of local arrangements
committee), Mary Susan Ashbourne, Sean Day, Jason M. Kelly, Terry J.
Prewitt, and Inna Semetsky.