Analytic languages and their function. (7)

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Tue May 30 09:15:50 UTC 2006

What about loans? Take the Greek dish called mousakás, whose name has
been borrowed into several languages as moussaka (spelling can vary).
(Never mind that the Greek word probably is a loan itself; cultural
flows suggest that the word has been borrowed from Greek.) The borrowed
form is 'actually' the genitive or accusative singular, but does this
matter? We can consider the foreign tourist as an incipient speaker of
Greek (although he or she never might sample more than a few words), and
we may speculate why they picked the form (maybe they heard it in
contexts like "I'd like one_______"), but it is or course neither
genitive or accusative since they have no Greek inflection in their
English, German, Danish Swedish, etc. You couldn't even say they
reanalyzed it wrongly as a feminine noun (which would have identical
nominative and accusative singulars). Only if one of these incipient
speakers becomes a full-flegded learner and finally speaker of Greek and
still uses mousaka for the nominative, you could correct them (or talk
about a reanalysis as a feminine).

(There are loads more of examples like this with loans from inflecting
languages.)

Do I have to spell out the analogy to children's language acquisition?
Hartmut Haberland