Analytic languages and their function. (4)

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed May 31 16:07:50 UTC 2006

My take on Danielle's example is that, by the age of 2;6, Ulysse
recognizes and produces the items "d'abord" and "il faut" and that he
understands the item-based positional patterning of "le" before the
verb.  I would argue that the reason he is citing the full utterance
is not because he is processing it as a unit, but rather because he
is  unsure about the morphemic status of the unknown word
"rembobiner."  Perhaps this is one morpheme, perhaps two.  To make
matters clearest, he cites the whole sentence.  This whole sentence
is indeed a loosely assembled chunk in short term memory, but I very
much doubt that it is an unanalyzed lexical chunk in long-term
memory.  This is not to say that there may  not be some long-term
trace of many common sentences, but there is no reason to expect that
to be more true here than with something like "D'abord il faut le
changer."  I could cite gobs of psycholinguistic analyses and
experiments in support of this overall analysis, but perhaps you
folks already know this literature. Lise cited some materials in a
child language corpora from the period of 1975-1987 and then
additional experimental evidence from 1987-1997 on rote vs analytic
storage in short and long-term memory.

I totally agree with the important of ritualized chunks in early
child language about the age of 1;6.*  However, by the age of 2;6, a
lot of water has flowed under the bridge.

-- Brian MacWhinney

*One of my favorite papers on this is: Ninio, A., & Snow, C. (1988).
Language acquisition through language use: The functional sources of
children's early utterances. In Y. Levy, I. Schlesinger & M. Braine
(Eds.), Categories and processes in language acquisition (pp. 11-30).
Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.