Faculty Fellowships at Rice University

Suzanne Kemmer kemmer at rice.edu
Tue Oct 17 20:25:39 UTC 2006

The Linguistics Department at Rice wants to call your attention to the
one-year faculty fellowships described below, for faculty at least 3
years beyond receipt of Ph.D.
Recipients will be Humanities Center fellows, but will select a host
department to interact with.
The Humanities Center is in the same building as the Linguistics
Department, just upstairs.

These are NEH fellowships, and can be billed as such on your CV. If
you have a
chance to spend a year somewhere else besides your own university,
Rice is
a great environment to do so.

We have a doctoral program in Linguistics, a great library collection
and computer facilities, an Electronic
Texts center with lots of linguistic corpora, and a beautiful campus
with more trees than people.
In addition to 7 full-time faculty and other teaching faculty, and 22
Linguistics Ph.D. students,
we will also have 2 postdocs in Linguistics next year.  There are
fewer than 5,000 students at
Rice and a faculty-student ratio of about 9 to 1.

Our department regularly runs conferences and hosts a weekly colloquium
series with many well-known visitors. In Spring 2007 the department
will host one of our biennial Symposia
on Language, this one organized by Matt Shibatani. See
www.ruf.rice.edu/~ling
for more info on our department.

If you are interested in interacting outside the classroom with our
first-rate undergraduates,
we can pursue possibilities for housing in faculty accommodation in
the residential colleges,
which includes free room and board.

Suzanne Kemmer

-------------------------------------

Rice Humanities Research Center External Faculty Fellowships

Application Deadline: December 18, 2006

Rice University’s Humanities Research Center will award up to four
external faculty fellowships during the academic year 2007-2008.
Fellows will be in residence at the Center for one semester, give a
series of three lectures OR teach one course, and participate in the
Center’s intellectual life. Both junior and senior faculty with
appointments at universities other than Rice are eligible but must be
at least three years beyond receipt of the PhD by the beginning of
their fellowship term. Fellows are awarded a stipend ranging from 40K
to 75K, depending on rank, and a moving allowance.

Application information is available at http://hrc.rice.edu  .

These fellowships are generously funded by the National Endowment for
the Humanities and the Lynette S. Autrey Endowment.