A query...

Stahlke, Herbert F.W. hstahlke at bsu.edu
Tue Oct 24 16:21:54 UTC 2006

Like many of us, I've served on and chaired Promotion and Tenure
Committees at several levels in my university.  The tenure implications
of this discussion strikes me as analogous, at least in their effects,
to the technology debates of the late 80s and early 90s, when many
faculty members were, for the first time, creating computer-based tools
for various of their classes and research projects.  A similar case was
made then for the necessity of this work, its relationship to
scholarship, and the need to reward it in the P&T process.  I worked
with colleagues at a number of universities at the time to explore ways
of doing this, and I finally had to report that unless a major activity
could be made to look like peer-reviewed scholarship it would not only
not help a junior faculty member towards tenure but would actually do
harm.  I saw a number of promising junior faculty members fail to win
tenure because they chose to devote time to developing pedagogical and
research applications.  In a few, later, cases, they did this against
the advice of their mentors and senior colleagues and so are to that
extent responsible for the consequences themselves.  We can't ask junior
colleagues like Claire to risk their tenure by breaking new ground in
areas that their colleagues in other fields don't understand as
recognized scholarship.  Those of us who are terminally promoted can
take those risks and break that ground for our younger colleagues, and
it's a responsibility that we have.

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University