A query...

Daniel L. Everett dlevere at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 24 16:55:26 UTC 2006

That is not a good solution. You need independence when you are
verifying people's claims. You cannot let them pick and choose the
data, etc. on a question by question basis.

Because I didn't have Piraha data on line or the right kind
available, Peter Ladefoged came to the field to check it out. The
first thing he said when I picked him up at the airport was that he
was skeptical about my analyses. I said that then it would be nice to
see him return to UCLA supporting my analysis, which I predicted that
he would. But more seriously, when it came time to do the
experiments, I helped him set them up and then left the area and went
swimming. Investigators have a vested interest in the checking of
their analyses so the data should be available, all of it, for
perusal without going through them as middle-people.

I can't really see any excuses for not doing this. Except senility. I
will claim this if anyone looks for data that I collected 30 years ago.

Dan

On Oct 24, 2006, at 11:49 AM, Claire Bowern wrote:

>> I have read many grammars that I am skeptical about at points. But
>> I have no way of checking it out, unless I actually visit the
>> people and do my own field research (which in phonology I have
>> done - i.e. I have visited villages and spent a few days recording
>> and analyzing phonological data, especially prosody, because the
>> claims I had read seemed unlikely. For example one language/people
>> that I still want to visit or would like sound files of is the
>> Arawan language, Culina, for which Pike - many, many years ago -
>> claimed that there were no syllables. Since the dictionary of
>> Culina has words that look like all the other Arawan languages
>> (and I have done fieldwork on all of those) I am betting that
>> Culina has CV and CVV syllables (not the V and CV that some claim)
>> like all the other Arawan languages. If the data were on-line, it
>> would help resolve this mystery - just to take a random example).
>
> You could also email the author of the grammar. For many people
> (and speech communities) there's a big difference between making
> large amounts of raw data generally available and discussing and
> sharing it with colleagues.
>
> Claire

**********************
Daniel L. Everett, Professor of Linguistics & Anthropology and Chair,
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Campus Box 4300
Illinois State University
Normal, Illinois 61790-4300
OFFICE: 309-438-3604