A query...

Claire Bowern anggarrgoon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:30:22 UTC 2006

>> And to return to my earlier mantra, archiving and web publication aren't
>> the same thing.
>
> If the archive is located in webspace, what differences are you thinking of?

well, the difference between 80 hours of recordings digitised at 44.1
KHz /16bit versus the same amount of data as mp3s, for a start (the
difference is about 14 gig, give or take). Try that on dialup!

>>> (I have an opinion, but I'm not a grey eminence. I would be wondering if
>>> you had informed consent to collect linguistic data from people who have
>>> never studied linguistics.)
>> Yes, but only after a long discussion about what we were going to do,
>> and continual renegotiation throughout the fieldwork, once the people
>> involved had a better idea about what the work involves, what the
>> consequences would most likely be, and so on.
>
> So, did you go into the electronics of your audio equipment so that they
> understood all about semiconductors and stuff?
>
> No, of course not. So why isn't it possible to gain the same level of
> "informed" consent with respect to the way you wish to allow other
> researchers like you look at the data sometimes?

aah, you don't know my gukulngu, yapamittji and marmuku. We did actually
have a very interesting discussion of how analogue tape recorders work
versus digital recording at one stage.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't possible, just that it's probably
one of the biggest issues in web dissemination (at least where I work).

Claire